Anyway, when my MIL bought the pattern, we decided that I would take the pattern because I was more likely to get the project done first, and then somehow we came around to I would make my bag AND her bag. And if the timing was right, it would be for her birthday or Mother’s Day. I remembered last Wednesday that OH CRAP her birthday is the 20th and I’d need to either 1) buy her a present or 2) make her the bag (especially since we’d be celebrating with her the Saturday before). So I got sewing.
(Sorry for the crappy quality of pictures – I took them late Friday night when I finished it!)
Rather than using interfacing to give it body, all the pieces of the this bag are supposed to be backed with fusible fleece. As you can imagine, it very soft, but also very bulky. And sort of heavy. And I didn’t have enough fusible fleece, so I subbed regular cotton batting and fusible web (I’m like one of the crazy commenters on the recipe sites that say “It’s the best recipe EVAR but I changed all the ingredients and made it a dessert instead of a entree!!1!”). Also, I ended up fusing a cat hair into it (after it came off the cat). It worked out okay, but putting the grommets on through all those layers of fabric was tough and ultimately I had to cut out some of the fused batting around the holes for the grommets to eliminate bulk.
All in all, I love the finished product (I’ll probably love mine more since I will have picked out the fabrics), but the pattern could have been written better to explain the Grommet Dilemma and some of the construction.