As you might imagine, we’re sort of fond of airplanes at our house. One of my son’s friends from his kindergarten class is in the same class. This is the same family we took with us to a 4th of July cookout at the airport my husband works at, so they are also a family of aviation enthusiasts.
This isn’t really a quilting thing, but it’s crafty and involved sewing, so here it is. My kids’ elementary school has a fall festival every year, and one of the most competitive parts is the Pumpkin Auction. Each class is responsible for contributing a pumpkin to the auction and it falls to one
sucker parent to make it. For whatever reason, I volunteered to do it for my son’s class this year. Probably because I wanted to get out of volunteering to work the booth.
I made a pattern for the hat using my husband’s actual leather and wool WWII aviator cap, and added about 3 inches to the center to accommodate the wideness of the pumpkin. For some reason the fleece interior fit fine, but the cotton leathery-looking fabric I had for the exterior didn’t fit so well – I imagine it’s something to do with stretch. After fiddling with it quite a bit, I just shrugged and said, “It’s a hat for a pumpkin.”
On the interior, I made the little pumpkins out of modeling foam the kids had but weren’t using. The faces are drawn on using a Sharpie. The light in the lower right is a battery-powered LED light so it won’t burn it up. You can see the fishing line that’s hanging the airplane – that was a small model I got at the craft store, with a propeller made of a pipe cleaner. The ghosts are stickers, and the “grass” is a scrap of fleece I had that I hot glued to the interior and stuffed slightly with some poly batting. I think it’s fair to say that there’s an insane amount of hot glue on this whole project.
Hopefully since this is a change from the normal pumpkin-as-a-vase for a floral arrangement and UGA themed-pumpkin, it’ll do pretty well in the bidding.