Since the colors I picked go with a particular bedroom, I thought of what was already in there – an applique quilt in soft pinks and greens from the 1980’s, I think (my MIL inherited the top from the vet that used to treat their dog). The window valance is a Grandmother’s Flower Garden, and she also stores her extra quilts in there as well. I thought a Dresden plate would look nice and server well for a little mat, so I went to Elizabeth Hartman’s tutorial on Sew Mama Sew and got the templates. Here’s what I ended up with:
I mentioned on the podcast that today was my MIL’s birthday, and I’ve been working on a project I meant to give her if I finished it in time.Alas, I did not, so I had to figure out a replacement gift. Usually when we don’t have any idea what to get her, we fall back on a gift card for JoAnn’s or the quilt shop, but since I didn’t have time to get anywhere besides JoAnn’s, JoAnn’s it was! To spruce it up, I got supplies to make a nice, small floral arrangement, and then decided about 1 1/2 hours before we were supposed to leave for the restaurant that I wanted to make a little tablemat to go under it.
It measures around 16″ in diameter I used the blanket stitch on my machine to stitch down the Dresden fans to the white background, and then stitched another piece of the white right sides together (leaving an opening for turning). Then turned right side out, pressed, and top stitched in pink and yellow close to the edge. Voila!
Here it is in action with the flowers (and strange lighting):
I’m happy with how it turned out. Have a great weekend!