Monday, for dinner:
- Plans foiled by a fire at a gas station. Not one anyone in my family was near, but you know, a butterfly flaps it wings on the other side of the world, sets fire to a gas station and your dinner plans get ruined.
Tuesday, for breakfast:
- Homemade Egg McMuffin – Not rocket science, but a tasty start to the morning made with a real egg instead of egg substitute as the recipe calls for. After another try, I figured out how to make the round egg – we have a small microwaveable bowl the right size and shape that I cook the egg for 40 seconds on high, then flip it into the pan with the Canadian Bacon to finish cooking. Grade: A.
Tuesday, for dinner:
- Carnitas Tacos: I used the other part of the slow cooked pork from the barbecue last week to make these. I reduced the cumin from 1 tsp to 1/4 and it still was vaguely armpit-y. Apparently I just can’t put any cumin on things without feeling like I’ve bottled B.O. and poured it on my food. Despite that, the sauce was yummy and we’d eat this again. Good thing since there’s leftovers! Grade: A-.
- Southwestern Black Bean Salad: This was quite good, albeit the light sauce could have used some punching up (it’s olive oil and lime juice for the most part). I used this along with the carnitas pork in a corn tortilla and it was very tasty. I didn’t miss having cheese on my taco at all with all this flavor! I’ve got TONS of it left and will have it for lunch later in the week. Update: it tasted better on the second day when I had leftovers, so maybe just let it marinate a while and no punching up needed! Grade: A+.
Wednesday, for dinner:
- Marinated Grilled Chicken – I was planning another recipe that would have required having the oven on a lot and I was just warm already and couldn’t stand heating up the house. So I only had about 2 hours total to prep so I didn’t marinate as long as the recipe called for. The chicken came out great anyway, and I had all the ingredients on hand (even that armpitty cumin that I left out! In your face cumin!). Grade: A.
- Grilled Asparagus – This had a great flavor, but wasn’t as crunchy as I would have expected. I suspect that’s because I had to cook it in two batches so the first batch sat for a few minutes before eating. Regardless, it was very tasty and I would make it again. Grade: A-.