Scraps, Baby! in Blues and Greens: Finished!

I got distracted by Jaye’s donation blocks and though I could mimic her 16 patch blocks with my leaders and enders. Thinking I had a lot of blues and greens, I set about sewing the already constructed 4-patches together into 16 patch blocks and discovered I had… seven 6″ blocks. Possibly enough for a mouse quilt. Talk about a letdown! Not to be deterred I pawed through my 3 1/2″ squares for coordinates and came up with this design, which I call “Scraps, Baby!”:

Scraps, Baby!
I integrated the paltry 7 16-patch blocks with 4 patches made from the 3 1/2″ scraps for a 42 block layout. That seems a bit small, so I used some white fabric for an inner border, and then used additional 4-patches and 3 1/2″ squares in darker tones than the center to make an additional border, slapped another 2″ white border on the outside, and then straight-line quilted the whole shebang.
Scraps, Baby! Detail
Of course I didn’t have a single piece of fabric big enough for the back.
Scraps, Baby! Back
The large polka dot fabric got paired with 5 10″ squares from my scraps, and then framed with some blue floral that I had intended to use as a border for something else, but ditched because it looked weird. The binding is the same blue floral as the backing.
This came together quickly, and I think it’s a good template for making scrappy baby quilts in the future. I’m donating this quilt to Project Linus to make up for the Scrappy Trip Around the World one!

6 Replies to “Scraps, Baby! in Blues and Greens: Finished!”

  1. I really like the fade from green to aqua.. I think that’s what I’m seeing anyway. I misplaced my glasses and I’m not really sure what I’m looking at..

Comments are closed.