I finally settled on my goals for the Q1 Finish Along, now hosted by She Can Quilt. The trouble, you see, is that I typically don’t have UFOs so coming up with stuff can be tricky. There’s plenty I want to make in this first quarter, but I haven’t started cutting the fabric for those projects yet. So here’s what I’ve scraped together.
This will be a Christmas present for my in-laws this year, and was done as part of Bonnie Hunter’s Easy Street Mystery Quilt Along. The blocks are complete and I’ve got about 2/3rds of the top put together. Once the center is pieced I have to figure out borders since I want this to be king-size (about 114 x 114″).
This is a quilt that will be auctioned off to benefit the Good Mews Animal Foundation, named after one of the spokescats, Tricky. Tricky will live at the shelter for the rest of her life because she was shot in the back by a bastard who is now in jail. Tricky doesn’t have the function of her back legs, and will wear diapers for the rest of her life. She is, however, one of the friendliest cats you’ll ever meet, and loves to play with toys and test nap in ALL the beds in the shelter. She was originally helped by an organization called Ahimsa House, which assists animals that are victims of cruelty or domestic abuse. The quilt I’m making will either be donated for a raffle for Ahimsa House or Good Mews – the details haven’t been worked out yet.
Tricky Stars is going to be primarily grey and white with touches of lime green and black (for Tricky’s eyes). I’m using Bonnie Hunter’s Cathedral Stars pattern, and have been piecing the 4-patches in lime and white so far. I’ve got the fabric for the V-blocks cut, and will tackle HSTs next.
One of the the projects I do for the cat shelter are quilted nap mats about the size of a fat quarter for them to sell in the merchandise shop. I’ve got at least 12 “kits” put together to make, and I’d like to make at least 4 more this quarter. They are great projects to practice new FMQ designs.
I don’t have a pattern picked out for this yet, but suspect I’ll do another “Scraps, Baby!” sort of quilt to donate to Project Linus. I’ve got a bunch of brown/cream 16 patches already pieced together, and selected 3 1/2″ squares to coordinate from my stash. I picked teal to go with the browns because I’ve got some cuts of brown/teal fabric to use for borders and backing.