I had high hopes for the landscape quilting class I took a couple weeks ago. It uses a “fabric confetti” technique to create a landscape. Because we didn’t have sewing machines in the class, the instructor provided us the background fabric with Steam a Seam attached to it, and then we placed our trees and confetti leaves on it, added another adhesive (the Bo Nash sprinkle kind), and then a layer of tulle and then pressed the heck out of it to seal in all those little pieces. Here’s what mine looked like when I left the class.
After reconsidering, I carefully pulled back the tulle and added more leaves in some different greens from my stash at the top of the piece, and a little more ground cover at the bottom. I sandwiched it with my standard 80/20 and a piece of muslin for the backing, and started thread painting this weekend.
To my disappointment, the amount of adhesive on here gums up my needle after 3 stitches. I was getting skipped stitches left and right while trying to accent the tree trunks, and it only worsened when I tried to do the leaves. I had started using my monofilament, and then a 12 weight variegated Sulky thread (both with a size 90 needle and a top stitch needle), and when those combinations failed, I went to a shade of brown in my trusty Aurifil. Even with 3 different needles (universal size 90, topstitch, and size 90 embroidery needle) and the 50 weight thread, the stitches were still skipping and looking horrible. I was stopping to wipe the needle down with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol every 5 minutes or so and it’s just a miserable process.
I have heard of a product called “Sewer’s Aid” that’s a silicone based lubricate of sorts you put on your needle to help keep the adhesive from gumming it up. I might try that if I can find it, but otherwise, I’m trashing this project. It’s just not delighting me.
I will try the technique again, but only here at home where I don’t have to secure everything with so adhesive to transport it. I think I might try a smaller forest scene since I still have lots of the different green confetti left, and some browns for tree trunks.
Since that was such a disappointment, I was very happy to work on this fun piece (after finishing my Easy Street quilt – holla!). It’s inspired by a love of RuPaul’s Drag Race that I share with some of my guildmates, as we discovered at our sew-in last week.
It measures about 7×10″. The words are threadpainted/FMQ’ed onto Kona White backed with a piece of Peltex instead of batting so it would be stiff enough to stand up on it’s own. I used my watercolor pencils to fill in the letters, and a decorative stitch to border it.
This delights the heck out of me.