Once I remembered that I still had these airplane fabrics in the novelty drawer (which isn’t nearly as salacious as it sounds, I promise!), I knew they could work up quick into some cute kids’ quilts for the charitable quilt drive for the East Cobb Quilters’ Guild.
They are unglamorously named Aero Quad 1 and 2.
This one is Aero Quad 1, which takes advantage of keeping the panels in tact as they came off the bolt, and adding the extra border pieces from both this cut of fabric and the other border pieces for the second quilt. The cornerstones on the border are a complementary fabric with small biplanes on it. I had little bits and pieces of it left from my son’s bed quilt.
Here is the second version, which was left in a long 1 x 4 panel layout, so I cut them apart completely and sashed them. And to make it a smidge bigger I added an outer border so it’s 45×50, I think.
Both of them are backed with homespuns in the same colorway, and a piece of Thimbleberries that also matched.
Here’s a close-up of one of panels I used.
And then I whipped up six pillowcases. Cindy might recognize the space fabric – it was sitting my stash looking cute so I used 9″ of it for a pillowcase (and am hoarding the rest for me, once I figure out what to do with it). It goes nicely with that acid lime green that’s too bright for anything else I’ve tried to pair it with! The rest of the fabrics are various pieces from my stash.