As I was putting together HSTs two weeks ago for the Star Surround Quilt Along, I noticed that I was getting enough HSTs to make the center of the star, the “spokes” for the star (4 each of 2 fabrics paired with the background fabric), and then two extra HSTs of each fabric with the background. That tipped me off that something was weird. How the heck was I going to make a 4 sided block look symmetric only two of one type of unit?
If someone had said, “Hey dummy, when you pair the other 3″ squares for those same A/B fabrics to make a NEW set of HSTs for a second block using the same fabrics, you end up with two more of those HSTs for a total of four. Duh.”
(as we say in the South)
So I posted a comment on Melissa’s blog explaining what I was running into, and someone said the equivalent of “I followed the cutting directions and got the right number (dummy).” so I went back to the HST step and actually read the whole thing and realized I had only made half as many HSTs as needed. This also explained why I had so many leftover 3″ squares, too, which weren’t going to play all that nice with the remaining 2 1/2″ squares.
After I finished my first 10 star centers, I went back and made the rest of the HSTs and then made the rest of the star centers and then I lived happily ever after. The end.