I showed a sneak peek of this a while ago, and now that the swap with my guild has happened, I can show the official finished mini!
This is a block that I had designed in 2011 as part of a Modern Block of the Month for the Atlanta Modern Quilt Guild, and I hung on to it because I did really like it although the fabric is not really to my taste. I found it a few weeks ago while sorting through stuff for postcards, and decided to make it a smidge bigger (16″ square now) and turn it into the mini.
Since the block is interesting, but rather minimal for an entire quilt, I went a little nuts with the quilting. I wanted comet trails to come off the star points to emphasize the trail of squares behind the star, so I started with those wavy lines. Then I filed in between the lines with various fillers like feathers, pebbles, paisleys, and something I call folded feathers.
I drew out the cross-hatching to pre-cede the star, and ended up free-motioning the lines. It worked okay for this small project, but I can’t imagine trying to FMQ straight lines on a larger quilt.