Looky What I Made!

When my sister bought her first house in October, I offered to make her something for it. I suggested a quilt for my niece’s bed (she got a new day bed), so when I was in Ohio in November with the two of them, we went to the fabric store so she could pick out some fabric. The fabric she picked out was the green fabric with monkeys on it, and then I got the blue and the giraffe print to go with it. The purple (which is a wee bit overpowering, but still works okay, I think) and the larger monkey print I got once I got home.

Niece's Quilt Closeup

Since it was for a twin size daybed, I made it a little longer than a standard twin quilt since I thought it would be hanging over the head and the foot of the mattress. For those that are familiar with quilting terminology, I stitched in the ditch around all the squares and the purple inner border. Within each square, I alternated one of three patterns – a leaf like the print, a banana, and a squiggle like the vine the monkey is hanging from in the outer border. For the outer border, I just quilted to follow the print along the trees, leaves, and vines.

Here is a wide shot of the full quilt (crappy lighting not withstanding):

Niece's Quilt

It’s the biggest quilt I’ve done so far as I’ve stuck with play quilts and baby quilts to date, so I was quite pleased that it turned out so well (both for me and for my niece!). I got it shipped off just in time for it to get there for Christmas.

I’m currently working on Bloomer’s baby quilt (yes, she will be two next month – thank you for asking – once I post pictures of it, it will make sense why I waited so long to do her baby quilt). After that I’ll be working on a full-sized quilt for her “big girl” bed and a matching doll bed quilt for her birthday.

Farts! And Craps! I Totally Need A Theme Song For This Section of the Blog

Today we’ll start with a quilt I did just to see if I could do it:This is silk dupioni, which came in an assortment of colors I had to have, with no real project in mind, and then my friend Laurie went and got married so poof! Instant reason to make a quilt out of it. Here’s a close up view:

Unfortunately, there wasn’t a lot of the material, so it’s more of a lap quilt rather than than a bed-sized quilt, which just means she’s got to snuggle with her new hubby a wee bit closer.

But not too close, because next thing you know, you’re popping out kids and writing blogs with the phrase “farts and craps” and words like “pantsfreesia”.

And next, something I did for Bloomer that she finally, after four months, used properly.

That’s a pacifier, tied to the stuffed kitty with a ribbon. Clever, no?

And now, here is Boxer’s contribution to the Farts and Craps section of the blog:

I know. I, too, was totally struck speechless by its… beauty? artistic composition? unique ability to succintly capture the feelings of an entire generation of Daycare 90210 followers?

I believe I will let his art speak for itself.

Although I could swear I heard it saying: “Put me out of my misery… take me to the trash…”


Since I like to think that being at home means I can “do” stuff, like clean, sew, or do dishes or laundry (with or without Boxer’s help), I’ve made two quilts for a good friend of mine that’s having twins boys in a couple weeks. Below is one of them.

The other one looks the same, only with different black and white squares. Each of the quilts has a shamrock square, as he is Irish, and when I scanned his ultrasound photos for him, I put leprechaun hats on his fetuses. I must stretch the joke as far as it can possibly go before snapping in my face.

On the back I put the label with my name and date and an different Irish blessing on each quilt.

Here’s a close-up of one section:

Here’s something I didn’t tell him about those fleece hearts on the quilts. Sure, it’s soft and fuzzy and can stimulate the sense of touch as well as the visual acuity from the contrasting black and white, but it’s also covering a boo-boo.

Two of the squares I used were a batik print, and I guess the dyeing process weakened the fabric in certain places because once I got the quilt top assembled and started quilting it, I noticed that there were holes in the fabric. Which sucks because I didn’t want to take the whole thing apart just to replace that one square. And oddly enough, it was one square on each quilt, essentially in the same place in relation to the shamrock square.

So as a creative solution, I made a big old heart-shaped fuzzy fleece patch and stuck it over the offending holes, creating a warm and fuzzy symbol of love and all that stuff.

Insert your own pithy comment about making lemons out of lemonade.