Tag Archives: bag making

Sunday Stash – Mildly Backwards

This week I finished up a couple bag projects: a new class sample/actual functional purse for me to use and a project tote for going to quilting classes. I offset that stash progress with the purchase of some background fabric, however; oh well!

For my purse, it was time to make a new purse after the wear on my old one got a bit unbearable. You can see details on this post from The Stitch, but in general we’ve learned that purses made out of quilting cotton that are used daily last about 20-24 months before extensive wear sets in.  The class I taught at Red Hen Fabrics on Saturday for the Candice Bag pattern was small, but mighty.  I’m pleased to say that all the students finished their purses, which is honestly a first! The one I made to carry myself is the Tula Pink Acacia fabric with raccoons in the back left.

I also finished my Amethyst Bag, which is a Sew Sweetness pattern. I’d been eyeing it since Sara released it, mostly because I specifically wanted something I could hooked onto the handle of my sewing machine tote.  That addition and some adjustments to the elastic tool spacing are the only changes I made; the rest of the pattern went together easily enough, although there is the usually amount of tugging when it comes to birthing the bag right-side out!

  • Used this week:  5.5 yards
    • 3.5 yd for the Candice Bag
    • 2 yd for the Amethyst Bag
  • Used Year to Date: 77.5 yards
  • Added this week: 10 yard
    • 10 yd of light gray solid for stash
  • Net Used YTD: 10.25 yards
  • YTD Used for Charity: 16 yards (21% of total used)

You can see more stash reports at Patchwork Times!

Maxwell Bag – Finished!

In lieu of WIP Wednesday today, I bring you a finish! On Sunday I was agonizing(ish) over fabric choices for the Maxwell Bag but I made some change-outs and then just plundered ahead before I could second guess anymore. And then I finished it!

I chose to do the pieced version of the main panels rather than the whole fabric, hence the indecision on the fabric assortment.  Because these main panels are also quilted, there’s another layer of prep involved. That part can be a bit maddening – mostly because I wanted to do something different in each panel and not just straight lines in varying widths, but I did find it easier to leave a couple panels on the Soft and Stable and quilt them as one piece (akin to having them all loaded on a longarm machine).

For the side panels, there are nice deep pockets. I bet you can fit a bottle of wine in there!

On the interior, I think I was on a quilting roll and quilted the interior more than was called for in the pattern. Oh well – it’s not a bad thing but took a little more time than originally planned.

A word about the handles. You start with a thick cording and wrap it with a foam interfacing (a.k.a. Soft ‘n Stable). Then you make a fabric tube and feed the foam covered cording through it; that part was the most tedious and was also prone to things getting skootched out of place. Because the cording frays easily, there’s not a good way to catch it and pull it through with a crochet or similar small hook, so you are literally pushing a rope. It took a while, but was doable. I did find I probably trimmed a bit more than put in the directions on order to have all the ends line up and have enough of the fabric tube left over to appropriately cover it with enough overlap to handstitch it in place. So, in sum, handles are irritating but worth it because they are super cushy and stand up on their own, and won’t drag on the floor!

Sunday Stash – Onward

Two projects wrapped up this week as the wheels of progress continue to turn! I managed to wrap up two of the three pillow covers I’m working on (the other involves handpiecing), a donation quilt, and a totebag of sorts.

Here was my starting point for the bag fabric; I did sub in a lime green houndstooth, a black polka dot, and a darker teal for three of these to bring a better value range to the assortment.  I think it will make a good project bag to tote around, but is a bit too open to be a replacement purse.

  • Used this week:  9.25 yards
    • 5 yd for baseball donation quilt
    • 3.25 yd for the Maxwell Bag
    • 1 yd for two pillow covers
  • Used Year to Date: 72 yards
  • Added this week: 0 yard
    • Woohoo!
  • Net Used YTD: 14.75 yards
  • YTD Used for Charity: 16 yards (23% of total used)

You can see more stash reports at Patchwork Times!