Summertime Blues – Finished!

I was quite happy to finish up this Saturday Sampler quilt. I went rogue and didn’t go with the kit that the shop offered for the layout since I wanted to add a third color to the blue and white palette for some pop.

Of course, to do this layout, I needed a 13th block for the center! I had enough scraps from the previous kits to make one without a problem.  The green and blue batiks in the center came from my stash.

The pieced setting triangles with that floral print came from necessity (read: fabric shortage) rather than a design choice, but I really like how they turned out!

For the quilting, I did a mix of orange peel designs to set off the piecing in the blocks, and ribbon candy in some of the larger areas. I’ve been practicing that motif quite a bit.

This will go to its new home in a couple weeks!

 

Double Wedding Ring Quilt – Finished!

Oh, it’s such a joy to finally be able to share this quilt for two reasons:

  1. I’ve been working on it for a year as a gift for my parents
  2. They are celebrating 50 years of marriage!

To make this quilt, I took class. You may know the teacher as my friend Lynn. 😀  She taught the Quiltsmart  method for the pattern at a local quilt shop, and I’ve been plodding along to make 49 blocks plus 28 outer blocks ever since. That’s a lot of pieces!

Fortunately I found this gorgeous batik border fabric after making the center and it works perfectly (shadow of me taking the picture not withstanding)!
At 116″ square, I ended up quilting the center on a longarm, and then tackling all of the borders on a mix of my domestic machine with a walking foot and my HandiQuilter Sweet 16 for free motion work.

I couldn’t wait until the actual party Saturday to give it to them, so I broke it out Friday night and we took a photo opportunity of it on the actual bed. I think I finally made a quilt big enough for them!