This week we got a bit of snow here in the South, enough that some schools got out early on Friday and school was cancelled on Monday. The temperature has stayed low, keeping the ice on the roads from melting in the shady areas, so better safe that sorry since we don’t have a lot of de-icing and snow equipment in Atlanta.
With that, I managed to finish up a couple projects as part of the Snow Day Sew In (#SDSI on social media). First up was the paper piecing unicorn portrait, “Vinnie Does Beyonce”, after my mascot for The Stitch TV Show.
It was also time to finish up the En Provence mystery from Bonnie Hunter. Rather than use all the blocks in a single (huge) quilt, I took 4 of the blocks to make a donation version through my guild. Since that was smallish, it got whipped up rather quick and is now finished:
And, of course, I also worked on the BIG version. So big I had to baste it in my kitchen, where I have the biggest hardwood floor space available. I think this is around 84 x 65?” Roughly twin size, anyway. Here it is being basted:
It’s now quilted, but my arms are killing me, so I’m going to wait to bind it until tomorrow evening. Whew! Check out other quilters’ versions of En Provence on Bonnie’s link-up Monday!
- Used this week: 4.25 yards
- 0.75 yd for Vinnie Does Beyonce mini quilt
- 3.5 yd for Small En Provence
- Used Year to Date: 4.25 yards
- Added this week: 0 yard
- Net Used YTD: 4.25 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 3.5 yards (82% of total used)
You can see more stash reports at Patchwork Times!
Merry Christmas to the last little bit of the day that is left to celebrate in. Up next, Boxing Day! Celebrate with us on social media for the Boxing Day Sew-In Monday using #BDSI on your quilting and sewing related posts. I cleverly planned an all day sew-in at Lynn’s house Monday, and am packing up the projects I want to take. So far I’ve got a king-size quilt and a mini quilt, as well as my full-size handquilting project to work on. I’m sure all that will keep me busy. For the morning anyway!
I’ve got two small finishes this week that I can share pictures of after tomorrow. I realized I forgot to take pictures of a set of gift quilts I finished months ago, so oh well, go ogle the original from Edyta Sitar. Only imagine it one column narrower so I had enough blocks left to make a junior baby-size quilt to accompany it. My sister and her husband got the big version, my baby niece got the junior version, and my 3 year old niece got a dinosaur quilt I picked up at Tiny Stitches and didn’t have to make! The 3 year old is very into dinosaurs – we also gave her a book about dinosaurs (with roar buttons for optimum annoyance) and a stuffed dinosaur. The baby is delicious and very squishy; here I am pointing out all the verboten ornaments on my parent’s Christmas tree to both little girls. Not to be forgotten, my son and I worked with my oldest niece in an Escape Room game. Good news: we escaped from Santa’s (Slightly Creepy, Doll-Filled) Attic with 7 minutes to spare!
I also kept up top of the latest Bonnie Hunter clue on Friday – 80 HSTs. In the past, she’s released the final clue on New Year’s Eve, so maybe we’ll get back to back Friday/Saturday clues this week? You can check out other participants progress on the linky on her blog Monday.
I’m off to quilt a donation quilt in the dying hours of Christmas; hope everyone had a happy day and has more time off to enjoy with family (or alone, recovering from family visits – whatever flips your skirt, as Grama Eddie would say).
- Used this week: 1.75 yards
- 1.75 yd for 2 gift quilts
- Used Year to Date: 339.5 yards
- Added this week: 0 yard
- Net Used YTD: 195.75 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 126.5 yards (37% of total used)
In the midst of piecing several other projects, I got 100 v-block units put together and pressed for Step 2 of the En Provence mystery! Then I realized that I wasn’t planning on making the full size quilt, so I’ve overmade blocks. Oh well – I suppose i can always make the size quilt I want and then throw the leftovers into another project.
My colors are a little different; rather than magenta I’m using a pinkish/coral color.
Check out some of the other Step 2 results in Bonnie’s linky!
As befitting a long weekend, I got quite a bit of sewing done. I also picked up quite a lot of fabric, so actually net negative for the week. Oh well!
In terms of projects, I did accomplish the first step of the En Provence mystery from Bonnie Hunter! Of course, it was only cutting squares since I’m only use a single neutral for my version. Check out others on Bonnie’s “Step 1” Linky!
In addition to another bag and tablerunner, I also finished another sample of the Candice bag for a proposed class at Red Hen in Marietta GA. Stay tuned for their website on the workshop date in early 2017!
- Used this week: 9.25 yards
- 3 yd for diaper bag
- 1.5 yd for tablerunner
- 2 yd for Candice Bag
- 0.75 yd for purse insert
- 2 yd for pillowcases
- Used Year to Date: 329.75 yards
- Added this week: 10.75 yard
- 2.5 yd for diaper bag
- 9.5 yd for quilt sample
- 0.25 yd for wallhanging
- 2 yd for Candice bag
- Net Used YTD: 190.25 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 116 yards (37% of total used)