At last! I finally got around to 1) taking pictures and 2) posting them of my finished Twilter Round Robin quilt organized by Daisy. I was in Group B with Molly, Sally, Allison, and Kathy. My starting block was comprised of buffalo bits leftover from the Silver Star quilt I made in 2013 – tiny lime green and white HSTs.
I provided some additional lime green, teal and orange fabric, along with some white on white Eric Carle animal print fabric for the background. And here’s what I got back after everyone else worked their magic! Molly set my block on point with a green batik with bird print on it which was some nice foreshadowing and inspiration for Sally’s eventual round. Because of the bird print, I decided the quilt needed some feathers quilting into it.
I’m not sure if Molly or Allison did the next round of white with the small corner four patches on it, but then Allison did a LOT of tiny flying geese, which are delightful, and added a much needed pop of hot pink to the quilt.
Sally added some nine patches and fun bird applique. I alternated quilting the birds with either the same orange peel design as the nine patches or an echo of the bird shape. Kathy finished it off nicely with a thin orange and fatter green outer border.
Sally was also kind enough to include some additional birds, so I picked a hot pink one and stuck it in the middle of my original block to really round it out and tie it all together.
As a special heads up for you guys, I talk more about the Round Robin experience on the next episode of The Stitch, which goes up tomorrow!
Lots of stuff going on this week! I finished a smaller charity quilt using panels from The Lorax children’s book, and two storage bags for recent finishes. On top of that, I also finished the Quilt of Valor. I forgot to take pictures of it before taking it to guild for donation, so here’s me showing it at the meeting this morning. Pattern was inspired by Cozy Quilt “Long May She Wave“, which I bought but ultimately didn’t use because I don’t like the tube strip method for HSTs, so I changed the size of the HSTs and made them a different way AND changed the star in the corner, all like an irritating recipe reviewer who never follows the directions and then criticizes the food.
In other exciting news, my Round Robin quilt top came home! I’m about halfway done quilting it because I was so excited I went right ahead and started on it. I added the bird in the center because Sally so nicely sent extra applique birds from her round, and it really brought the design together.
- Used this Week: 12.75 yards
- 3.5 yd for Lorax baby quilt
- 2 yd for storage bags
- 1.25 in FQs for Quilt-o entry
- 6 yd for Quilt of Valor
- Used year to Date: 203.25 yards
- Added this Week: 5.75 yards
- 2 yd of Kona Ash
- 3 yd of Kona jellyroll
- 0.75 yd of 3 FQs from friend’s destash
- Net Used for 2015: 106 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 117.25 yards (58% of total used)
See more Stash Reports at Patchwork Times!
I managed to pull off finishing the Swoon quilt on Saturday, and have gotten back in the saddle on my Broken Lone Star quilt today. I’ve finished 8 of the 24 outer blades, and have started on the final 16. I also decided I was not happy with my choice of brown for the background fabric despite already cutting out the pieces, so I found a very soft dove gray that’s somewhere between the Grunge print from Moda and the linen print from Kaufman; I think it will really set off the rainbow colors in the star.
In addition to the gray, I got the final finishing kit for Saturday Soiree and the final block for the quilt. Once I get the block made this week, I can get the top put together. I’m super excited for it to be done for my daughter’s bed, as blue is her favorite color.
I’m also counting the 5 yards of fabric I’m sending out with my Round Robin block as “used”. Whatever I get back at the end of the process I’ll check back into my stash, I guess, so since I usually only count fabric that’s in a finished item. Here’s a sneak peek of my center block and the fabrics I’m sending along for guidance (plus a couple yards of white on white background fabric).
- Used this Week: 15 yards
- 10 yd for Swoon quilt
- 5 yd for Round Robin supplies
- Used year to Date: 157 yards
- Added this Week: 6 yards
- 3 yd of gray for background for the Broken Lone Star Quilt
- 3 yd for borders & binding for Saturday Soiree
- Net Used for 2014: 87.25 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 42.25 yards (28% of total used)
See more stash reports at Patchwork Times!