It’s been a jam-packed sewing week, mostly because I didn’t have my laptop available to me to work on potentially paying gigs (i.e. – pattern design) in the evenings and weekends. The good news is, my laptop is now fixed and has a fancy new cover and no longer feels like the screen is going to flap wildly about and fall off.
Not being focused on original designs meant that I could just freaking SEW. So sew I did! I made this top out of the last few leftovers from Sparkling Gems. It now needs a back and to be quilted.
Then I put on what is apparently the final border on Dresden Garden; I had considered adding more, but I don’t need to reach a specific size with it, so the current 57″ or so is big enough for a wall hanging.
It’s going to get some crazy intense quilting in there; ghost flowers, creeping vines, cross-hatching, etc. It also needs a back!
I’ve got a sew-in tonight with my besties for our “We Put the Bee in Bacon”, so I’m working on piecing two more tops; one for a quilt along, and one for donation made out of leftover buffalo bits from this quilt.
This week I got one small baby quilt finished, made as homage to the Settlers of Catan board game.
As per the board game, there are five terrains (fabrics) in the center arrangement of 19 hexagons that represent different resources: grain, brick, wood, sheep, and stone. I mimicked those designs in the quilting texture in each fabric type. From top left to right, pebbling for desert, brick for brick, elongating feather for wheat, facets for stone, and fluffy sheep outlines for sheep (in the unicorn fabric – didn’t have good sheep fabric!).
I’ve got a couple other tops done recently, and some smaller projects to tackle this week, so stay tuned for more!
- Used this past week: 3.75 yard
- 3.75 yd for Nursery of Catan
- Total Used Year to Date: 173.75 yards
- Added this week
- YTD Used for Charity: 25 yards (14% of total used)
I took a brief respite from quilt pattern-writing related sewing to whip up a baby gift for a friend; I’ll get to show the full quilt tomorrow or so (after it’s washed and dried), but for now here’s a sneak peek at one of the blocks – wood grain quilting on wood grain fabric!
Sometimes it really is best to draw inspiration from the fabric… or plan the fabric because you wanted wood grain quilting! It’s the circle of quilts.
I was quite happy to finish up this Saturday Sampler quilt. I went rogue and didn’t go with the kit that the shop offered for the layout since I wanted to add a third color to the blue and white palette for some pop.
Of course, to do this layout, I needed a 13th block for the center! I had enough scraps from the previous kits to make one without a problem. The green and blue batiks in the center came from my stash.
The pieced setting triangles with that floral print came from necessity (read: fabric shortage) rather than a design choice, but I really like how they turned out!
For the quilting, I did a mix of orange peel designs to set off the piecing in the blocks, and ribbon candy in some of the larger areas. I’ve been practicing that motif quite a bit.
This will go to its new home in a couple weeks!
It was quite a busy week for me given the remnants of the long holiday weekend and two more finishes earlier today! I finished up the second sample that will be hanging at Red Hen Stitch Shop when our Emilio pattern launches in a couple weeks; pics of that quilt when the pattern launches!
I also finished up another sample quilt for the pattern after that, Main Squeeze, this morning, but that pattern won’t be out until August. One of the quilts I can show, though, is my finished Madras quilt, which was from my class with Bill Kerr. The class was much more focused on color theory than stitching techniques, but I wanted a consult with him to pick the colors and then I stitched on my own. His comment when he saw my selection, “It’s certainly cheerful!”
The pattern is called Madras from his book, Transparency Quilts.
- Used this past week: 18 yard
- 9 yd for 2nd Emilio sample
- 5.75 yd for Main Squeeze
- 3.25 yd for Madras
- Total Used Year to Date: 170 yards
- Added this week
- YTD Used for Charity: 25 yards (15% of total used)
I’m going to blame it on the long weekend, but here’s a mashed up post for Sunday Stash and WIP Wednesday! I had one finish by last Sunday, my Summertime Blues quilt. Pictures of that later, but in the meantime, here’s the 3 Saturday Sampler blocks I also picked up and finished!
I can also reveal what I made for the Fandoms in Florals swap! My partner got the package a couple days ago, so swipe to see what I made her: a Hamilton/Doctor Who mashup mini quilt, a Pokemon/cat mashup Open Wide pouch, and a Harry Potter Deathly Hallows zippered Trinket Box. Hopefully you can swipe to see all the projects below:
- Used this past week: 8 yard
- 8 yd for Summertime Blues
- Total Used Year to Date: 152 yards
- Added this week
- 1 yd of low volume FQs
- 3 yd batik
- 3 yd for Mingle & Jingle FQs
- YTD Used for Charity: 21.75 yards (14% of total used)
I almost posted a picture of my still-covered sewing machine since I haven’t managed to sew anything since we got home from our trip. We’re still catching up with various things, including replacing my treadmill since it gave it up before we left town. The good news is the new one was bought used with low miles and low price tag, and is quite a bit fancier than my old one!
In the mean time, I’ve been pulling fabrics for my class with Bill Kerr of Modern Quilt Studio tomorrow!