Well, this week I’ve quilted a second quilt on Cindy and will be shipping it off to its new home today or tomorrow. It was the commission quilt for my friend’s cat, so of course I decided to try my hand at ruler work. It’s not bad for being new at it, but I need the grippy stuff on the bottom of the ruler so it doesn’t slide (this is a stronger requirement for domestic machine ruler work than when work on a longarm). Good thing I have a Craftsy class on it, and also an in-person class on it at the end of the month! The finished quilt is in the dryer so I’ll try to grab pictures of it today if the light is good.
I also got to do some waiting room sewing while my daughter was at the dentist, so I finished putting on the first border put on the Diamonds in the Sky quilt. I think I’ll tackle the second one while waiting at art class tonight!
It’s been a while since I posted my EPP project, the Tula Pink “Diamonds in the Sky” kit. I’ve got rows 1-7 sewn together on home, and completed row 8 units on the plane this weekend. That got me started on the row 9 units which I’ll keep making progress on this week.
Note: the rows are upside down in the picture. Alas!
You can see more WIPs over at Lee’s blog!
I’m out of town this week, so I’m mostly working on a massive set of blisters from walking from one end of the Vegas strip to another. Because I could. And today I get to stand up for nine hours at a trade show booth for my company. Yowza!
Of course I decided I needed a crossbody bag to take with me on this trip at the last minute as my usual purse was a bit too large, but I needed more than a wristlet. I finally dipped into my stash of Catnip FQs and made this little bag with some Lizzy House Pearls as well.
It’s sitting in the poorly cropped photo with my Sew Together bag since I brought a batch of EPP sections to work on. Row 5 got attached before I left, so these are for row 6 out of 13.
Rather than show a pile of stuff on my cutting table, I thought I’d give an update on my EPP project, the Tula Pink Diamonds in the Sky quilt.
I’ve been working on this as I wait for kids at various practices or art lessons, so I’m up to attaching row 3.
You’ll note there’s a hole in the middle of it. This is because as I was attaching row 3, I noticed that I had attached row 2 on upside down. You wouldn’t even be able to notice except one of the 3D cubes (there’s one adjacent to the hole) was then seen upside down.
Words Were Said. Words that my children may have both gotten in trouble for referencing in various writing projects last week on two separate days. Ah, motherhood.
Anyway, I’ll put a regular hexie in that hole, and swap out the 3D hexie for another regular hexie further down the row so it’s not so obvious. And I might say some more Words. It *is* the end of the school year, after all!
The haze of Christmas break combined with polar-vortex-induced-school-cancellation means that everyone is taking their time getting back into the groove at my house. That, of course, didn’t stop me from ushering children out the door and thinking “Bye! Be safe! Stay warm! Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!” this morning.
Anywho, finishing a large quantity of quilts earlier this week means I’m in clean-up/re-organize mode for a bit while embarking on new projects. There are two currently percolating in addition to the larger king-size quilt I’m working on for my parents. The first is my First Official English Paper Piecing project; I’m doing the Diamonds in the Sky quilt from Tula Pink, and am part way through the first row.
I’ve got more done than this, but this is the largest chunk I’ve got assembled. This will be my travel/sitting on the couch project, and will make slow progress through the year.
The second project I’m working on is a challenge quilt for the East Cobb Quilters Guild. It’s supposed to be “All About Me“, represent me in some way, and also have lime green and polka dots in it somewhere. This block is a small part of the quilt I’m making for it.
This Ocean Waves block is 12″ finished and is made up of waste HSTs from Silver Star. I’ve got the lime green and polka dot part covered so far!
Well, being heads-down on an intensive slow-going project means that I don’t have any usage to report this week. I’m hopeful to get some small projects done in the coming weeks, but don’t anticipate a big finish for a while yet. Due to family budget issues, this will be the last bit of intake for a while as I’m back on a strict fabric diet, so anything I put on my Q4 Finish Along will have to be done entire from stash fabric. Good thing I have a healthy stash to pull from! There might be an exception as my parents come to visit and pick out fabric for the king size quilt they want me to make them, but not sure which pattern yet so it’s hard to tell.
A smidge of intake this week as my English Paper Piecing kit from the Tula Pink Acacia line showed up. Since that will be all hand work, it will take a loooooong time to finish. I also decided since one of my guilds gives out a Golden Thimble for an entirely handpieced quilt of a certain size, I would add a 4″ border on the quilt and quilt it by hand to earn that coveted charm. I’ve gotten several Golden Scissors awards since I’ve made BIG quilts since I joined, but this will be my first shot at a handwork charm.
And I got 5 different solid green FQs to make my daughter a Creeper skirt (from Minecraft) for Halloween, and probably every day. I better enjoy these purchases while they last!
- Used this Week: 0 yards
- Used year to Date: 342.5 yards
- Added this Week: 4.5 yards
- 2.25 yd from Tula Pink “Diamonds in the Sky” EPP kit
- 1 yd Tula Pink fabric for a border
- 1.25 yd of green FQs to make my daughter a Creeper skirt for her Halloween costume.
- Net Used for 2013: 176 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 134.75 yards (39% of total used)
See more stash reports at Patchwork Times!