So… finished this on a couple weeks ago, finally took pics, then stalled again in getting them posted. Whoops!
I used 7 panels to make this quilt – 6 for the blocks and one on the back to show what the original was. It ended up being a twin size quilt, which will be perfect for a tween girl or someone thereabouts. Here’s a close up of some of the blocks:
Here’s the (totally modern pieced) back for reference, with the original panel in the middle:
I’m getting closer to finishing the One Block Wonder quilt. It’s under the needle right now on the machine,and it’s a twin size monster. Of course Jett had to help me baste it last night.
I’m using a couple different color threads in the center, and am just about done with the white thread on the top right/bottom left corners. I’ll also use pink and aqua for those color-intense areas.
I wanted to try the dog-grooming arms on my FMQ setup last night (a suggestion from Katie to reduce drag while quilting!), but forgot I didn’t have the clamps for it. Instead I seem to have just set up a rope climbing station or bag-less punching bag for Nina, who was immediately enamored with the clamp arm and dangly bits.
You can see other WIPs on Lee’s blog!
Oh, not a vacation for me, that is. I made a tiny beach scene this week as a gift for a friend:
It measures about 5×7″, and is quilted onto Peltex and backed with flannel. I used diced up batik scraps for the sand and ocean with a tulle overlay. There’s a very small orchid on the beach as well to go with a scented oil reed diffuser I also gave her, named “Salt Water Orchid“. It smells delightful and I have one at my desk too.
I also got the center of my One Block Wonder all sewn together – here’s a picture of it two-thirds done.
I feel like I should leave the sides intact rather than cut them off before adding the border, but I’m not quite sure. Of course, I also need a border fabric. Sigh.
And, big news, the East Cobb Quilters Guild extended their deadline for quilt submissions, so I have an opportunity to submit a couple other quilts! I’m thinking of entering the Grand Illusion Mod Baby Quilt (even through I machine stitched the binding- alas!) and maybe my Psychedelic Pots mini that needs quilting.
This week has been mostly about my One-Block Wonder quilt. I did get all the blocks sewn, and then arranged, and then re-arranged.
Behold, the first horrible and blobby layout.
I had intended that the blue blocks would be the center of a flower, and then the pink blocks the petals/main flower part. The green blocks are the stem and the brown-ish blocks were the ground. What I ended up with was a Hot Mess of Highest Heat and Messiness. So, back to the drawing board.
In addition to Jett “playing the cello” on the middle, this has the added bonus of not being a heinous travesty of design. I used the pink blocks (by far the highest number) to make a wavy diagonal line, and filled in the other colors from there so the transition is a bit more subtle. I did reorder the brown ones in the bottom left a bit, but otherwise, this is how it’s going to be sewn together.
I think I’ll add a border with some applique that mirrors the flower shapes in the original panel, but will figure that out once I get the center sewn!
See more WIPs at Lee’s blog.
I feel as if I’ve stitched on a lot of projects this week, but didn’t really finish much. On the actual finish pile, we have 2 travel drawstring shoebags and 2 storage bags for quilts I’m entering into the show this June (assuming they are accepted!). On the “things I worked on but didn’t finish pile”, we have these things:
Harry Potter POD block 6:
Scrapitude Scrap-in-a-Box Step 2. Sewn incorrectly, of course, but when I was 60 into 82 finished, I realized my mistake and just plowed forward. This is in the tradition of Scrapitude quilts-alongs for me since the one last year I inadvertently left off the sashings in my first attempt.
And finally, my One Block Wonder in progress! I took the class yesterday from Melinda at Tiny Stitches, and made pretty good progress.
I started with 6 panels, which makes finding your repeats pretty easy! I have an extra one for the back of the quilt so I can remember what it looked like.
And here’s how far I got in class – probably about a third of the blocks I’ll end up with in total.
- Used this Week: 2.75 yards
- 0.75 yd for 2 travel shoe bags
- 2 yd for 2 quilt storage bags
- Used year to Date: 52.75 yards
- Added this Week: 0.25 yards
- 0.25 yd for a FQ since Tiny Stitches gave away a free fat quarter to everyone yesterday!
- Net Used for 2015: -2.5 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 25.25 yards (8% of total used)
See more Stash Reports at Patchwork Times!