Since 2013 was my year of learning new things about myself, and I hate doing resolutions, I’ve decided that in general, 2014 will be a year of me being a grown-up. Here’s some grown-up things I’ve done this year.
- Learn to cook and enjoy eating brussel sprouts. And be excited when they are on sale.
- Drink TWO cups of coffee a day. I only started drinking the one a couple years ago.
- Exercise regularly.
- I made a meal that included blanching fresh green beans (NOT from a can! And I was nowhere near a farm! Decadent!) and caused me to utter the question “Where the hell did my lemon zester and mezzaluna go?”.
- I don’t know if this makes me a grown up, or just a person in better control of their mental health, but at the end of the school year in 2014, I have not yet lost my mind and alternated between crying and eating Reese’s peanut butter cups by the handful while worrying about my kids’ future school year (my previous pattern).
- Deciding to make healthier choices, like spending time with my kids OUTSIDE (gasp!) climbing a mountain rather than hovering inside on the computer or at the sewing machine. Sure, I could make another quilt, but my kids are kind of neat, too.
- Salt and vinegar chips must be an acquired taste. Maybe I’ll acquire that taste in my late 40’s.