It was very tempting to just add some borders and do some fancy quilting, but I wanted to elevate it a bit.
After a LOT of math and sewing on the bias, here is what I ended up with:
When it came to quilting the individual blocks, I wanted to think outside the block a bit and extend the leaf or petal shapes outside the block with the quilting lines. You can see it in the stems on the poppy and the leaf in the center orange flower.
To further emphasize it, I colored in the extensions with the appropriately colored Shiva paintstick. It’s subtle on the brown, but that’s what I wanted.
For each of the flower blocks, I quilted within the shape of the flower, adding bits of texture like the pebbling in the center of the sunflower. I wanted the flowers to pop so those have a bit less quilting than the background - a simple meander in the yellow background of the block.
Ultimately I wanted to try McTavishing since I wanted to use it on a pending project, and then I realized there was QUITE a bit of threat and repetition in it and I got a bit sick of it! I ended up using McTavishing at the bottom of the piece, then I morphed into feathers towards the middle of the piece with some more pebbling to fill in the gaps.