If a baker’s dozen is 13, what is a quilter’s dozen? It’s twelve, silly! Quilters know how to do math.
Anywho, I made 12 pillowcases to donate this weekend, which is just under 5% of the guild goal for the year. We’re striving for a target of 250 pillowcases, 250 placemats, and 250 quilts, and I think I can make 12 of each this year (I already have one quilt ready to turn in). Strangely, the pillowcases are the hardest for me to make since it requires a large chunk for the body, of which I have relatively limited selection. So I dug deep and had enough for a nice dozen, which are now washed and folded and tucked into the plastic bags (here they are post-wash, pre-bag).
I also made some zipped pencil pouches for the guests at my daughter’s birthday sleepover Friday night, which made a small dent, and of course, the Quiltparison quilt! I’m about halfway done with the quilting on one of the commissioned quilts, and the other is basted and ready to go. I realized I forgot to make the binding for both of them, so will tackle them as well.
I’ve also been doing some design work on the ECQG raffle quilt in EQ7, which involves playing with fabric, but is not actually in my stash. Soon I’ll start cutting and kitting those!
- Used this Week: 15.5 yard
- Used Year to Date: 34.5 yards
- Added this Week: 0 yards
- Net Used YTD: 19.5 yards
- YTD Used for Charity: 14.75 yards (43% of total used)
See more Stash Reports at Patchwork Times!
I got the idea for this quilt when I was thinking about how I open my first meeting as the leader for the evening meetings of the East Cobb Quilters’ Guild. I also wanted to start a tradition of opening a meeting with a story about a quilt that’s been meaningful to a member of the guild - one they made, one they received, or one they saw.
I also have a reputation for being “intense” or “intimidating”, particularly with those who don’t know me well enough yet to know that I’m really just an awkward 13 year old who cries at cotton commercials (it’s really IS the fabric of my life!) and laughs at fart jokes, trapped in the body of a 41 year old. I blame it on the RBF.
This is actually a wholecloth quilt; the colors are from Inktense pencils, and in the middle of doing the blending I immediately thought I’d messed it up and wasn’t as good as a guildmate of mine, thereby proving the whole point of the quilt: comparing myself to someone else wasn’t going to bring me any joy in making this thing.
Technical note: I used an aloe gel to blend and deepen the color from the pencils, rather than the water which will spread the ink to adjoining areas of the quilt.
Also not bringing my shoulders any joy: any time spent after the first 15 minutes of pebbling a double-batted quilt. But ultimately, I love it.
It helped me tell the story I wanted to: that my role in leading the meetings was to facilitate a fun, nurturing environment meant to inspire, not to intimidate.
The good news is I can show the full version of this sneak-peeked quilt on Friday. The bad news is, it’s not Friday yet (potentially bad in several ways, because I could use a Friday already!)
I’ve got a smidge more hand stitching on this and then binding it, which I’ll wrap up tonight, and then will move on to quilting the commission quilts.
I’m just now getting around to posting these pictures after finishing this over the Christmas holidays, but here, finally, is “Hogwart’s Required Reading”, my Harry Potter Project of Doom from FandomInStitches.com.
For the most part, the quilting focused on outlining the piecing for the various blocks.
Particularly this stinker.
Some things got fancier treatment, like bubbles in the butterbeer and feathers on Hedwig.
Here’s the bottom section of the bookcase, which shows a little more on the books themselves.
If you’d like to make your own, go download the patterns!